Monday, April 12, 2010

The purpose of this here blog

Hi, my name is Scott and I'm here to answer one simple question, is the beer I just drank worth the cost. Okay, I may occasionally stray from the subject and deal with other meaningful questions like the meaning of life or why Roy Rogers, Hardee's, and Carl’s Jr. are so much alike yet have different names.

Craft beer is getting more expensive. I wish I had a mind blowing stat for you but I speak from personal experience. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing because the driver of these rising prices are more complex and time consuming brewing techniques that have resulted in some truly remarkable and innovative beers. However, with rising costs and more people willing to pay them there inevitably come products that don’t reflect their actual value. I’m sure there's an economic term for this but I barely passed Macro.

As far as my pallet is concerned, it falls on the lower end of the sophistication scale, but fortunately the purpose of this blog isn’t to meticulously dissect flavor profiles, it’s to analyze craft beer through the lens of price. What makes me qualified do this? Very simple, I’m a cheap bastard.

Just to warn you this blog will have a pretty heavy West Coast bias. It’s not because I don’t like beers from other regions (Victory is one of my favorite breweries) it’s just that I buy what’s available here in Los Angeles. I haven’t plunged into the world of trading because attaching the painstaking ritual of preparing and sending packages to enjoying a fine craft beer is something I’m just not prepared to do.

Here’s a simplistic scale that I’ve come up with to evaluate beers in terms of cost.

$:) = Okay deal

$:) $:) = Good deal

$:) $:) $:) = Damn good deal

$:) $:) $:) $:) = Fantastic deal!

$:) $:) $:) $:) $:) = horde this beer immediately even it means getting a cash advance on your Discover Card.

It’s brilliant I know. I think I might try to trademark it like Trump tried to with “you’re fired.” Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment